findbugs-maven-plugin documentation could use a bit more detail

findbugs-maven-plugin documentation could use a bit more detail

Andrew Pennebaker
The online documentation for the FindBugs plugin mentions `mvn site`, but doesn't really go into detail how to execute findbugs by itself (findbugs:findbugs, findbugs:check), or what the difference is between the two.

And the documentation for filters only gives the element name, not example snippets with the proper context. Fully qualified, downloadable example filters would greatly increase the effectiveness of the documentation.

Also, if Kohsuke is correct, can we indicate on the findbugs-maven-plugin home page that it's incompatible with Maven 3, maybe link to a trouble ticket for tracking progress on that front?

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker

Re: findbugs-maven-plugin documentation could use a bit more detail

Garvin LeClaire-2
See http://mojo.codehaus.org/findbugs-maven-plugin/examples/violationChecking.html for info on findbugs:check and findbugs:findbugs is run as a report which is part of site.  This is modeled the same as the PMD and Checkstyle plugins.

The document for filters is on the findbugs site itself.  There are links from the plugin site link to this information.

The findbugs-maven-plugin works with Maven 3 as I have been using on a number of projects without issue nor have there been any tickets raised about the compatibility.
Are you have issues?

Regards,

Garvin LeClaire
[hidden email]

Andrew Pennebaker

Re: findbugs-maven-plugin documentation could use a bit more detail

Andrew Pennebaker
Yes, please! I can't seem to get findbugs-maven-plugin to apply my .*thrift.* package exclusion, nor my Bug code = UR exclusion. Could you email a working pom.xml and findbugs-exclude-filter.xml that would apply these exclusions?

I tried my hand at this using the official doc, and some online tutorials, but every time, findbugs:<goal> would act as if my configuration did not exist, showing me thrift errors I didn't want to see, and UR errors I didn't want to see.