[VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

12

[VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Baptiste MATHUS-3
Hi,

So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward and try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other quite verbose threads .

Let's

Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less), will NOT succeed by lazy consensus.

[ ] 0 : meh
[ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause

Baptiste

Baptiste

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Trygve Laugstøl
On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 03:36:52PM +0200, Baptiste Mathus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward and
> try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other quite
> verbose threads .
>
> Let's
>
> Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less), will NOT
> succeed by lazy consensus.

> [ ] 0 : meh
> [ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause

+1

--
Trygve

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Julien HENRY
+1

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Karl Heinz Marbaise-2
Hi Baptiste,

+1 on this...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On 5/4/15 3:36 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward and
> try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other quite
> verbose threads .
>
> Let's
>
> Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less), will
> NOT succeed by lazy consensus.

> [ ] 0 : meh
> [ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause
>
> --
> Baptiste

Baptiste

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Robert Scholte-3

I don't think we have a real choice here. Once the Codehaus domain is gone
including its infra then there are no mailinglists anymore.
The vote should be about the move to X and how to register it for Markmail
and Nabble.

Robert

Op Mon, 04 May 2015 15:36:52 +0200 schreef Baptiste Mathus
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward and
> try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other quite
> verbose threads .
>
> Let's
>
> Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less), will NOT
> succeed by lazy consensus.

> [ ] 0 : meh
> [ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Baptiste MATHUS-3
Yes. My point was more indeed more to make people aware that this is NOW.

About the ML, we already have a new one created on google groups. I could have started a vote, granted, but as the discussion didn't give much feedback nor candidates (ggroups and freelists by Alexandre), so I went for the shortcut option. Would you prefer to have a vote for that and reconsider where we go for the MLs?

Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Robert Scholte-3
If the google group is fully up and running, then I don't see any reason
for voting.
You could do a (pre-)announcement saying this ML will be unavailable soon
and still interested subscribers should move to google groups.
Looking at Xircles, I don't see an option to really close a mailing list,
although I have the karma to remove everybody one by one. I don't think
it's worth doing so, so I suggest to just bleed those lists to death and
make all subscribers aware of the shift.

Robert

Op Mon, 04 May 2015 20:25:34 +0200 schreef Baptiste Mathus
<[hidden email]>:

> Yes. My point was more indeed more to make people aware that this is NOW.
>
> About the ML, we already have a new one created on google groups. I could
> have started a vote, granted, but as the discussion didn't give much
> feedback nor candidates (ggroups and freelists by Alexandre), so I went
> for
> the shortcut option. Would you prefer to have a vote for that and
> reconsider where we go for the MLs?

>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't think we have a real choice here. Once the Codehaus domain is
>> gone
>> including its infra then there are no mailinglists anymore.
>> The vote should be about the move to X and how to register it for
>> Markmail
>> and Nabble.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> Op Mon, 04 May 2015 15:36:52 +0200 schreef Baptiste Mathus <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>

>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward
>>> and
>>> try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other quite
>>> verbose threads .
>>>
>>> Let's
>>>
>>> Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less), will
>>> NOT
>>> succeed by lazy consensus.

>>> [ ] 0 : meh
>>> [ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Baptiste MATHUS-3
OK, so, to try and sum up the discussions and reading the ML we currently have under http://mojo.codehaus.org/mail-lists.html, I think the current agreement is as follows:

  • Development List : already moved to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mojohaus-dev
  • Commits List : let it die. We'll see in the future if we want one list with the commits. May be useful to keep a log of the commits for reference. Doesn't seem to be necessary in the short term though. There're more pressing concerns currently.
  • User List : let it die, and inform users to use [hidden email]. That's actually already what happens most of the time anyway.
  • Announcements List : same as user list. I don't see us keeping it;
WDYT? Do you agree?

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Mangez un castor !

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Arnaud Héritier-2
agreed.
for Commits List developers/users can use github notifications I think.

[hidden email]>:

 Hi,

So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward and
try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other quite
verbose threads .

Let's

Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less), will NOT
succeed by lazy consensus.

[ ] 0 : meh
[ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause

Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Robert Scholte-3
some statistics:

user: 645 subscribers
dev: 334 subscribers
announce: 92 subscribers
scm: 63 subscribers

So the user ML is by far the largest. However, its topics often concern a
specific plugin. It would be nice if Github had some sort of space to ask
per-(sub)project questions.
Even though I still like the announcement idea, numbers reflect that it's
not used very much.

So I agree with the suggestions below.

Robert

Op Mon, 04 May 2015 20:52:48 +0200 schreef Baptiste Mathus
<[hidden email]>:

> OK, so, to try and sum up the discussions and reading the ML we currently
> have under http://mojo.codehaus.org/mail-lists.html, I think the current
> agreement is as follows:
>

>    - Development List : already moved to
>    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mojohaus-dev
>    - Commits List : let it die. We'll see in the future if we want one
> list
>    with the commits. May be useful to keep a log of the commits for
> reference.
>    Doesn't seem to be necessary in the short term though. There're more
>    pressing concerns currently.
>    - User List : let it die, and inform users to use
> [hidden email].
>    That's actually already what happens most of the time anyway.
>    - Announcements List : same as user list. I don't see us keeping it;
>
> WDYT? Do you agree?

>> If the google group is fully up and running, then I don't see any reason
>> for voting.
>> You could do a (pre-)announcement saying this ML will be unavailable
>> soon
>> and still interested subscribers should move to google groups.
>> Looking at Xircles, I don't see an option to really close a mailing
>> list,
>> although I have the karma to remove everybody one by one. I don't think
>> it's worth doing so, so I suggest to just bleed those lists to death and
>> make all subscribers aware of the shift.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> Op Mon, 04 May 2015 20:25:34 +0200 schreef Baptiste Mathus <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>

>>  Yes. My point was more indeed more to make people aware that this is
>> NOW.
>>>
>>> About the ML, we already have a new one created on google groups. I
>>> could
>>> have started a vote, granted, but as the discussion didn't give much
>>> feedback nor candidates (ggroups and freelists by Alexandre), so I went
>>> for
>>> the shortcut option. Would you prefer to have a vote for that and
>>> reconsider where we go for the MLs?

>>>  Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate/disable all ML of MOJO@Codehaus

Werner Guttmann
+1

Werner

On 04.05.2015 15:38, Anders Hammar wrote:

> +1
>
> /Anders (mobile)
>
> Den 4 maj 2015 15:37 skrev "Baptiste Mathus" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus shutdown, to go forward
>     and try to attract attention to those who may have missed the other
>     quite verbose threads .
>
>     Let's
>
>     Vote open for 72h max (don't know if we could/should wait less),
>     will NOT succeed by lazy consensus.

>     [ ] 0 : meh
>     [ ] -1 : don't do it 'cause
>
>     --
>     Baptiste

---

Baptiste

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

On 5/4/15 10:16 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
> I just drafted that for informing about the ML terminations:
> https://github.com/mojohaus/mojohaus.github.io/wiki/Termination-mail
>
> WDYT?

Looks great for me...

Good work...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> [...]
>                 reconsider where we go for the MLs?

>                 <[hidden email]
>                 <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>                   Hi,
>

>                     I don't think we have a real choice here. Once the
>                     Codehaus domain is
>                     gone
>                     including its infra then there are no mailinglists
>                     anymore.
>                     The vote should be about the move to X and how to
>                     register it for
>                     Markmail
>                     and Nabble.
>
>                     Robert
>
>                     Op Mon, 04 May 2015 15:36:52 +0200 schreef Baptiste
>                     Mathus <
>                     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>

>                       Hi,
>

>                         So, as a followup with the upcoming Codehaus
>                         shutdown, to go forward and
>                         try to attract attention to those who may have

Mirko Friedenhagen-5

Hello Baptiste,

nice E-Mail you prepared.

Regards

[...]

[...]