Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

Baptiste MATHUS-4

Yet another thread fork: IIUC we still have to come to an agreement to which system we want to use for ml. And I guess we want to move ASAP to get used to it and communicate about it.

There's currently two proposals:
* Google groups
* freelists

Though I'm somehow sympathetic with trying to use alternatives to the hegemonic Google, I'm not convinced here we would have the same level of features with freelists (searchable archives, BTW freelists archives actually seen to be full of ads...).

On another subject, I'm not sure we want all the current lists to stay?
IMO dev is the one absolutely needed. Users could go away (and just use apache maven users ml?).
Do we still need some "commits list"? Is it even feasible with GH BTW?

WDYT?

Re: Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

Mirko Friedenhagen-5

Hello,

+1 for going with google groups, I do not like Ads and the list search is really important.

+1 for having a dev list only and joining the Apache Maven user list, I think for most users this would be the most logic place to ask for help and there is quite some overlap in developers anyway, so one list less to subscribe would be good.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

On Apr 9, 2015 10:38 PM, "Baptiste Mathus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yet another thread fork: IIUC we still have to come to an agreement to which system we want to use for ml. And I guess we want to move ASAP to get used to it and communicate about it.

There's currently two proposals:
* Google groups
* freelists

Though I'm somehow sympathetic with trying to use alternatives to the hegemonic Google, I'm not convinced here we would have the same level of features with freelists (searchable archives, BTW freelists archives actually seen to be full of ads...).

On another subject, I'm not sure we want all the current lists to stay?
IMO dev is the one absolutely needed. Users could go away (and just use apache maven users ml?).
Do we still need some "commits list"? Is it even feasible with GH BTW?

WDYT?

On 3/4/15 2:16 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
> *Mailing list*
> Google groups seems reasonable.

What about freelists [0]? It seems to have everything we need and
doesn't require a Google account ;-). One might argue that it is
possible to subscribe to google groups with any email address but my
experience tells me it doesn't work very well.

Cheers,

[0] http://www.freelists.org/

On 3/4/15 2:16 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
> *Mailing list*
> Google groups seems reasonable.

What about freelists [0]? It seems to have everything we need and
doesn't require a Google account ;-). One might argue that it is
possible to subscribe to google groups with any email address but my
experience tells me it doesn't work very well.

Cheers,

[0] http://www.freelists.org/

Re: Mailing list(s) new home

Jörg Hohwiller

+1 for that as well from my side.

Joining maven dev will be a lot of traffic all together but is makes perfectly sense...

Regards
  Jörg

Am 09.04.2015 um 23:55 schrieb Mirko Friedenhagen:

Hello,

+1 for going with google groups, I do not like Ads and the list search is really important.

+1 for having a dev list only and joining the Apache Maven user list, I think for most users this would be the most logic place to ask for help and there is quite some overlap in developers anyway, so one list less to subscribe would be good.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

On Apr 9, 2015 10:38 PM, "Baptiste Mathus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yet another thread fork: IIUC we still have to come to an agreement to which system we want to use for ml. And I guess we want to move ASAP to get used to it and communicate about it.

There's currently two proposals:
* Google groups
* freelists

Though I'm somehow sympathetic with trying to use alternatives to the hegemonic Google, I'm not convinced here we would have the same level of features with freelists (searchable archives, BTW freelists archives actually seen to be full of ads...).

On another subject, I'm not sure we want all the current lists to stay?
IMO dev is the one absolutely needed. Users could go away (and just use apache maven users ml?).
Do we still need some "commits list"? Is it even feasible with GH BTW?

WDYT?

On 3/4/15 2:16 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
> *Mailing list*
> Google groups seems reasonable.

What about freelists [0]? It seems to have everything we need and
doesn't require a Google account ;-). One might argue that it is
possible to subscribe to google groups with any email address but my
experience tells me it doesn't work very well.

Cheers,

[0] http://www.freelists.org/

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mailing list(s) new home

Mirko Friedenhagen-5
Hello Jörg,

I understood Baptiste's proposal was to create a mojohaus-dev list at
google groups but to redirect users to the Apache Maven User list.
Often enough the questions there are not especially about the Maven
core or core plugins as well.
Just recently a question about rpm-maven-plugin was asked (and answered) there.

Regards Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/ (http://osrc.dfm.io/mfriedenhagen)

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Jörg Hohwiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> +1 for that as well from my side.
>
> Joining maven dev will be a lot of traffic all together but is makes
> perfectly sense...
>
> Regards
>   Jörg
>
> Am 09.04.2015 um 23:55 schrieb Mirko Friedenhagen:
>
> Hello,
>
> +1 for going with google groups, I do not like Ads and the list search is
> really important.
>
> +1 for having a dev list only and joining the Apache Maven user list, I
> think for most users this would be the most logic place to ask for help and
> there is quite some overlap in developers anyway, so one list less to
> subscribe would be good.
>
> Regards
> Mirko
> --
> Sent from my mobile
>
> On Apr 9, 2015 10:38 PM, "Baptiste Mathus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yet another thread fork: IIUC we still have to come to an agreement to
>> which system we want to use for ml. And I guess we want to move ASAP to get
>> used to it and communicate about it.
>>
>> There's currently two proposals:
>> * Google groups
>> * freelists
>>
>> Though I'm somehow sympathetic with trying to use alternatives to the
>> hegemonic Google, I'm not convinced here we would have the same level of
>> features with freelists (searchable archives, BTW freelists archives
>> actually seen to be full of ads...).
>>
>> On another subject, I'm not sure we want all the current lists to stay?
>> IMO dev is the one absolutely needed. Users could go away (and just use
>> apache maven users ml?).
>> Do we still need some "commits list"? Is it even feasible with GH BTW?
>>
>> WDYT?

>> > Google groups seems reasonable.
>>
>> What about freelists [0]? It seems to have everything we need and
>> doesn't require a Google account ;-). One might argue that it is
>> possible to subscribe to google groups with any email address but my
>> experience tells me it doesn't work very well.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> [0] http://www.freelists.org/
>>
>> --
>> Alexandre COLLIGNON<[hidden email]>
>> https://keybase.io/acollign
>> https://plus.google.com/+AlexandreCOLLIGNON/

On 3/4/15 2:16 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
> *Mailing list*
> Google groups seems reasonable.

What about freelists [0]? It seems to have everything we need and
doesn't require a Google account ;-). One might argue that it is
possible to subscribe to google groups with any email address but my
experience tells me it doesn't work very well.

Cheers,

[0] http://www.freelists.org/

Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

Arnaud Héritier-2

Hi

"You must be a member of this group to view and participate in it.

You cannot view this group's content because you are not currently a member."

The group should be public by default I think

Cheers

Mangez un castor !

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

Baptiste MATHUS-3
In the same vein of the SVN freeze, how about moving our new discussions onto the newly created Google group? Mailing lists are also gonna be shut down with the rest...

We would still monitor this list and inform potential people still posting here about the new list?

WDYT?

Should be fixed now. Thanks Arnaud.

Hi

"You must be a member of this group to view and participate in it.

You cannot view this group's content because you are not currently a member."

The group should be public by default I think

Cheers

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Baptiste Mathus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

+1 for going with google groups, I do not like Ads and the list search is really important.

+1 for having a dev list only and joining the Apache Maven user list, I think for most users this would be the most logic place to ask for help and there is quite some overlap in developers anyway, so one list less to subscribe would be good.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

On Apr 9, 2015 10:38 PM, "Baptiste Mathus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yet another thread fork: IIUC we still have to come to an agreement to which system we want to use for ml. And I guess we want to move ASAP to get used to it and communicate about it.

There's currently two proposals:
* Google groups
* freelists

Though I'm somehow sympathetic with trying to use alternatives to the hegemonic Google, I'm not convinced here we would have the same level of features with freelists (searchable archives, BTW freelists archives actually seen to be full of ads...).

On another subject, I'm not sure we want all the current lists to stay?
IMO dev is the one absolutely needed. Users could go away (and just use apache maven users ml?).
Do we still need some "commits list"? Is it even feasible with GH BTW?

WDYT?

On 3/4/15 2:16 PM, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
> *Mailing list*
> Google groups seems reasonable.

What about freelists [0]? It seems to have everything we need and
doesn't require a Google account ;-). One might argue that it is
possible to subscribe to google groups with any email address but my
experience tells me it doesn't work very well.

Cheers,

[0] http://www.freelists.org/

Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

--
Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

--
Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

Lennart Jörelid-2
I would suggest we all migrate to the new structure as soon as possible.
Currently, we are in a somewhat fluid state about how to do things...

... and I believe we all need to solidify the working process.

:)

+==============================+
| Bästa hälsningar,
| [sw. "Best regards"]
|
| Lennart Jörelid
| EAI Architect & Integrator
|
| jGuru Europe AB
| Mölnlycke - Kista
|
| Email: [hidden email]

Re: Mailing list(s) new home (was: [DISCUSS] Codehaus EOL and MOJO migration)

aheritier
+1 to move ASAP
Perhaps a message to say it bye bye and we close it to be sure that people are switching ASAP to the new one