Fwd: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Mihai Danila

Hi guys,

One of our applications uses the javascript-maven-plugin plugin. Unfortunately, I can't find a release version of this plugin, so that I can use Maven's release process to release the application. Could we create one, or is this superseded by some other compatible plugin?

The plugin is:
org.codehaus.mojo.javascript:javascript-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT

I've also tried using the extension with the same artifact ID, currently org.codehaus.mojo:javascript-maven-plugin:2.0.0-alpha-1. However, when using the extension, Maven complains that the javascript type is not recognized.

Not sure what to do about this, and I can't release our library.

Thank you,
Mihai

Re: Fwd: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Christopher Hunt-2
Hi Mihai,

Version 1 of the library is deprecated and there is no plan to release it so far as I know.

Version 2 is incompatible with version 1.

Kind regards,
Christopher

On 06/03/2013, at 4:09 PM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Version 2 is an entirely different approach to that taken with version 1. Here's the best place to start:

Alternatively are you able to release the version 1 plugin to your own repo?

Kind regards,
Christopher

Thanks Christopher. My Maven build works with version 1 configured as a plugin. It does not, however, work with version 2 configured as an extension. Nor can I configure version 2 as a plugin to mimic the version 1 configuration in my POM. Am I missing something? Do I have to become a proficient Mavener to get to the bottom of this? If you could at least point me to the right documentation for the extension, it would be much appreciated .

Re: Fwd: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Mihai Danila
I think that document provides the solution - packaging must be "js", not "javascript" as with version 1. I may also need to re-release the JavaScript artifacts that I'm depending on.

I had started to release, but there were about four JAR artifacts and some three parent POMs in the dependency tree that I needed to release. After adjusting all the POMs (replacing -SNAPSHOT with -mycompany), I was greeted by the error that the JAR files themselves contained a copy of the POM that still said -SNAPSHOT. Faced with the prospect of editing four or five JARs, I decided to find the right way to do this.

I will try this and post back with my results.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Christopher Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Changing to js seems like it might do the trick, but I will need to re-release the two dependencies into nexus as "js" not "javascript", and unfortunately JSLint kicks in and stops the build. Since the thing I'm building is some older version of jQuery/jQuery UI, I don't want to (nor can I) fix JSLint errors, so I'll have to find a way to disable JSLint before I can conclude my test.

Anyway, I think this is it, if it may benefit anyone. When moving from the 1.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT plugin to the 2.0.0-alpha1 extension, use js packaging instead of javascript packaging.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You can configure the JSLint plugin to ignore certain files.

On 06/03/2013, at 5:15 PM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Changing to js seems like it might do the trick, but I will need to re-release the two dependencies into nexus as "js" not "javascript", and unfortunately JSLint kicks in and stops the build. Since the thing I'm building is some older version of jQuery/jQuery UI, I don't want to (nor can I) fix JSLint errors, so I'll have to find a way to disable JSLint before I can conclude my test.

Re: Fwd: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Mihai Danila
Done, and I got past most errors. (At one point, I had an error because I had configured a non-default path for the output classes - bug in the extension?)

The following error remains during release:perform, and I don't know what to do about it. According to the docs, the minifier runs by default.

[INFO] [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.5:deploy (default-deploy) on project jquery-and-ui: Failed to deploy artifacts: Could not transfer artifact com.jquery:jquery-and-ui:js:min:1.1 from/to releases (http://nexus.mycompany.example.com:8082/nexus/content/repositories/releases): C:\jquery-and-ui\target\checkout\target\min\classes\1-min.js (The system cannot find the file specified) -> [Help 1]

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Christopher Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can configure the JSLint plugin to ignore certain files.

On 06/03/2013, at 5:15 PM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Changing to js seems like it might do the trick, but I will need to re-release the two dependencies into nexus as "js" not "javascript", and unfortunately JSLint kicks in and stops the build. Since the thing I'm building is some older version of jQuery/jQuery UI, I don't want to (nor can I) fix JSLint errors, so I'll have to find a way to disable JSLint before I can conclude my test.

Re: Fwd: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Mihai Danila
Sorry, but this doesn't look like it will work.

1.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT used to generate a JAR that it could deploy into Nexus.
2.0-alpha1 seems to want to generate a single js file that can be deployed, instead of a JAR. But in fact, the package lifecycle stage is not covered in 2.0.0-alpha1. This means that the single js file cannot be generated (as proven, in fact, when running 'mvn package').

It sounds like the two are incompatible. I prefer continuing with separate files rather than a single file.

Is it possible to cut a release version of 1.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT so that we can release our dependent applications?

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:
Done, and I got past most errors. (At one point, I had an error because I had configured a non-default path for the output classes - bug in the extension?)

The following error remains during release:perform, and I don't know what to do about it. According to the docs, the minifier runs by default.

[INFO] [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.5:deploy (default-deploy) on project jquery-and-ui: Failed to deploy artifacts: Could not transfer artifact com.jquery:jquery-and-ui:js:min:1.1 from/to releases (http://nexus.mycompany.example.com:8082/nexus/content/repositories/releases): C:\jquery-and-ui\target\checkout\target\min\classes\1-min.js (The system cannot find the file specified) -> [Help 1]

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Christopher Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can configure the JSLint plugin to ignore certain files.

On 06/03/2013, at 5:15 PM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Changing to js seems like it might do the trick, but I will need to re-release the two dependencies into nexus as "js" not "javascript", and unfortunately JSLint kicks in and stops the build. Since the thing I'm building is some older version of jQuery/jQuery UI, I don't want to (nor can I) fix JSLint errors, so I'll have to find a way to disable JSLint before I can conclude my test.

Re: Fwd: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Christopher Hunt-2
I did say that the two approaches were incompatible… ;-)

Timothy Astle is the guy who would be best to respond to releasing v.1.0.

Kind regards,
Christopher

On 07/03/2013, at 4:07 AM, Mihai Danila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, but this doesn't look like it will work.
>
> 1.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT used to generate a JAR that it could deploy into Nexus.
> 2.0-alpha1 seems to want to generate a single js file that can be deployed, instead of a JAR. But in fact, the package lifecycle stage is not covered in 2.0.0-alpha1. This means that the single js file cannot be generated (as proven, in fact, when running 'mvn package').
>
> It sounds like the two are incompatible. I prefer continuing with separate files rather than a single file.
>
> Is it possible to cut a release version of 1.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT so that we can release our dependent applications?

Re: Javascript Maven Plugin Snapshot

Mihai Danila
I went all the way with rebranding -SNAPSHOT to -mycompany and plugging it into Nexus. That worked for me. Thanks for all your help.