[ANNOUNCEMENT] End Of Life of Maven 2.2.1 - Plugins / JDK Roadmap

[ANNOUNCEMENT] End Of Life of Maven 2.2.1 - Plugins / JDK Roadmap

Karl Heinz Marbaise-2
Dear Maven Users,

based on the End of Life of Maven 2.2.1 (a year ago) now the time has
come to make the final releases of Apache Maven Plugins which support
Maven 2.X.

If you continue to use Maven 2.2.1 or earlier you have to be aware of
using an completely unsupported Maven version as well as unsupported
Maven plugins for the future.

If you want to have access to new features and bug fixes it is really
necessary to update to new Maven versions.

The next Maven version which will go the same way as Maven 2.2.1
will be Maven 3.0.5.

We have documented the final releases of plugins which support Maven
2.2.1 in relationship with JDK 1.5.

The complete list can be found here:

http://maven.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html

The next step on our roadmap is to lift all plugin versions to 3.0.0 to
make clear those plugins will only work with Maven 3.0+ furthermore the
Java minimum requirement will be lifted to JDK 1.6 as well.

No "rule" without exceptions. Here they come:

  * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.4)
    See the docs of the plugin for usage in Maven 2.X

  * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.2)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1.

  * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.4)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1

  * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.4)
    which works with Maven 2.2.1 but needs JDK 1.6

The following plugins already have the Maven 3.0+ requirement:

* maven-scm-publish-plugin (Version 1.1)
* maven-shade-plugin (Version 2.3)

Currently the plan is to make those plugins which are already at 3.X
being lifted to version 3.5.0 for Maven 3.X only:

  * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.5.0)

  * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.5.0)

  * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.5.0)

  * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.5.0)

All other plugins will get a version 3.0.0 to identify Maven 3.X only
plugins and the JDK minimum will be 1.6.

Example:
   So to make things more clearer here is an example:

   Currently we have the maven-clean-plugin with version 2.6.1.

   This plugin supports Maven 2.2.1 and JDK 1.5 minimum.

   This plugin will get a new major release with version 3.0.0
   which has the Maven minimum 3.0 AND Java minimum 1.6.

Kind regards
- The Apache Maven Team

Re: [mojo-dev] [ANNOUNCEMENT] End Of Life of Maven 2.2.1 - Plugins / JDK Roadmap

rynam0

The next Maven version which will go the same way as Maven 2.2.1
will be Maven 3.0.5.

Does this mean that 3.0.x is also scheduled for EOL?  Is there a timeline for this?

On Mar 20, 2015 5:54 PM, "Karl Heinz Marbaise" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Ryan,

On 3/22/15 3:20 PM, Ryan Connolly wrote:
> The next Maven version which will go the same way as Maven 2.2.1
> will be Maven 3.0.5.
>
> Does this mean that 3.0.x is also scheduled for EOL?  Is there a
> timeline for this?

At the moment there is no real timeline for it...but based on the
release dates of Maven 3.0.5 which has been  published on
2013-02-23...and in the meantime we are at Maven 3.3.1...

I don't expect Maven 3.0.5 to live as long as Maven 2.2.1 did...cause
Maven 2.2.1 was published on 2009-08-11 which took a little bit less
than five years....

My personell expectation is that it will took about until next
year...Maybe in Feb/March 2016...until we come to the concusion that it
make sense to define EoL for Maven 3.0.5....but don't blame me if it
comes earlier or later....we will see...

BTW: All discussions on the dev lists are open ....you can look into the
archives etc. to see what's going on...and of course you are encouraged
to participate to the discussion...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> On Mar 20, 2015 5:54 PM, "Karl Heinz Marbaise" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Maven Users,
>
>     based on the End of Life of Maven 2.2.1 (a year ago) now the time has
>     come to make the final releases of Apache Maven Plugins which support
>     Maven 2.X.
>
>     If you continue to use Maven 2.2.1 or earlier you have to be aware of
>     using an completely unsupported Maven version as well as unsupported
>     Maven plugins for the future.
>
>     If you want to have access to new features and bug fixes it is really
>     necessary to update to new Maven versions.
>
>     The next Maven version which will go the same way as Maven 2.2.1
>     will be Maven 3.0.5.
>
>     We have documented the final releases of plugins which support Maven
>     2.2.1 in relationship with JDK 1.5.
>
>     The complete list can be found here:
>
>     http://maven.apache.org/maven-__2.x-eol.html
>     <http://maven.apache.org/maven-2.x-eol.html>
>
>     The next step on our roadmap is to lift all plugin versions to 3.0.0 to
>     make clear those plugins will only work with Maven 3.0+ furthermore the
>     Java minimum requirement will be lifted to JDK 1.6 as well.
>
>     No "rule" without exceptions. Here they come:
>
>       * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.4)
>         See the docs of the plugin for usage in Maven 2.X
>
>       * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.2)
>         which works with Maven 2.2.1.
>
>       * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.4)
>         which works with Maven 2.2.1
>
>       * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.4)
>         which works with Maven 2.2.1 but needs JDK 1.6
>
>     The following plugins already have the Maven 3.0+ requirement:
>
>     * maven-scm-publish-plugin (Version 1.1)
>     * maven-shade-plugin (Version 2.3)
>
>     Currently the plan is to make those plugins which are already at 3.X
>     being lifted to version 3.5.0 for Maven 3.X only:
>
>       * maven-site-plugin (Version 3.5.0)
>
>       * maven-compiler-plugin (Version 3.5.0)
>
>       * maven-plugin-plugin (Version 3.5.0)
>
>       * maven-pmd-plugin (Version 3.5.0)
>
>     All other plugins will get a version 3.0.0 to identify Maven 3.X only
>     plugins and the JDK minimum will be 1.6.
>
>     Example:
>        So to make things more clearer here is an example:
>
>        Currently we have the maven-clean-plugin with version 2.6.1.
>
>        This plugin supports Maven 2.2.1 and JDK 1.5 minimum.
>
>        This plugin will get a new major release with version 3.0.0
>        which has the Maven minimum 3.0 AND Java minimum 1.6.
>
>     Kind regards
>     - The Apache Maven Team

Re: [mojo-dev] [ANNOUNCEMENT] End Of Life of Maven 2.2.1 - Plugins / JDK Roadmap

rynam0

Thanks!
I was just looking for something to communicate to the rest of my team as we've been looking to upgrade from java 1.6 for some time now and we are currently building with maven 3.0.x.  As maven is core to our organization, this is a good driver for us to get our upgrade plans in motion sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all for a fantastic product and the excellent support. You all rock.

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Baptiste MATHUS-4
Hi Ryan,

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion and analysis as a long-time maven user and dev-list follower.

I can tell you that having something else than really blocking bugs fixed on 3.0.x is *really* unlikely.
As you certainly understand, there's simply not enough desire and energy to spend on older versions. And what you're asking (that is, EOL for 3.0.x) is in my very own opinion from likely to happen quite soon. And actually, that's already somehow the current situation, just somehow no one has launched a discussion to make that an official statement.
And with the features coming in JDK8, you may also expect Maven switching to it certainly sooner that it's been in the past.

And what's in the 3.3.1 may also encourage you to migrate in the upcoming months. As Karl-Heinz said, 3.0.5 is already 2 years. That's an eternity in our field, I mean Docker didn't even exist back then! ;-)

HTH,
My 2 cents

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !
nbsp;!

Re: [mojo-dev] [ANNOUNCEMENT] End Of Life of Maven 2.2.1 - Plugins / JDK Roadmap

rynam0

Oh no, I am completely on board with the EOL plans and this additional info is quite helpful indeed. Agree with all the points you raised.  I was simply looking for ammo to my upgrade now argument which is about 2 years old as well ;-)

Thanks again to all involved.